Saturday, August 8, 2009

30 and counting.....ways to use up basil before it spoils

Every week I buy basil. I buy it and it goes bad because basil does not come in batches for one or two. It comes in enough-basil-to-feed-an-army. Yes, I should grow my own. Sadly, nothing lives for long in The Valley. I couldn't stand the carnage any more. Everything I plant dies. We even had a cactus go into the light. Anyhow, here's how I used up some basil today:

Quick Artichoke Pesto:

2 cloves of garlic
1 good handful of basil leaves
8-10 artichoke hearts (i used canned. almost a whole can, but I ate 4 before I could put them into the food processor)
the juice of 1/2 a lemon
olive oil, about 1/4 cup, just enough to make everything blend together
salt and ground black pepper to taste

I threw it all into my hand-me-down mini-food processor (the Oster Oscar). Voila. We dipped raw brocolli in it and then mixed some in with quinoa for dinner. Bon apetit!

No comments: