Tuesday, April 6, 2010

30 and Counting.....on giving up coffee.

Just about every other day, I swear that I am giving up coffee.  It's more an exercise in voluntary torture than a smart decision to give up caffeine an it's evil side effects (icky skin, stained teeth, heartburn!, etc).  So, when my lovely sister-in-law sent the recipe below, it put a big smile on my face.  I'm always a cold-turkey-switch-to-herbal-tea kind of gal.  Maybe a healthier, trick-me-into-thinking-it's-coffee substitute would be the way to go. 

Here's Kristina's tips/recipe for Iced Non-Coffee:

*When I went to the health food store, I found two "versions" of a product called Cafix (an all natural coffee substitute). The first version was a very fine grind and has ground figs in it. The second version consisted of larger pieces that had the appearance of Sanka or something like that and did not have the figs. I bought the second version simply because it was cheaper. I bet the other kind is just as good- just adjust the recipe according to taste if you use the fine grind.

*On the Cafix label it instructs you to add 1 cup very hot (not boiling) water to 1 teaspoon of Cafix granules. I always double this when I drink it hot (2 teaspoons to 1 cup water).

Iced non-coffee

Fill a large cup with ice (if you are using glass, be careful! Only use a very thick heavy glass or it may shatter- I used a tall plastic cup) Measure 2 cups of water in a measuring cup. Pour into a pan and bring to a boil. Pull off of heat. Measure out 8 or more teaspoons of Cafix (depends on your taste) into the now empty measuring cup. Pour the hot water back into measuring cup (be careful!). Stir this mixture and then sweeten to taste with agave syrup. Pour this mixture into the cup filled with ice. Stir until ice is mostly dissolved and add more ice if needed. Add rice milk to taste. Enjoy!! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay!!! :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the taste. To me it's very very close to coffee- especially when you make it stronger. It really gives me that flavor and happy experience "fix" I'm looking for. Love you!
-Kristina